Friday, October 22, 2010

CHARACTER CONCEPT

Hey guys. I'm trying to experiment with some sci-fi character designs using DAZ3d and Photoshop. I'm hoping to get a concept art portfolio completed in the next year in order to tackle other areas of the industry. This piece is a result of messing around with some custom brushes and being inspired by TRON and Metroid. I have also been watching some concept art videos from the FZD SCHOOL OF DESIGN.
Any comments/crits are greatly appreciated!

thanks for visiting.


-Tin

3 comments:

Dustin d'Arnault said...

Nice work man! Dig the suit design.

Raul Allen said...

Hey Tin,
I like the ornamental qualities you are getting but they might be detracting from the overall shape. Have fun with your shapes but remember it is supposed to have a function.
Watch out for the silhouette of the character first. Make it really distinctive and atractive. The arm holding the weapon so close to the body is not helping much. When using daz3d try to avoid your characters looking like the standard. That looks too much like the Michael4 figure.
Also it can help a bit if the pose tells a bit more about your character. As much as I like playing with those figures they can be tough to pose and have gravity act upon them.
I am looking forward to what you develop for this portfolio!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys.
Raul, I totally agree. I am still figuring things out and DA3d is a good introduction into the 3-d area since I have no experience in it whatsoever! :)