Thursday, November 25, 2010

WARMUP OF THE DAY #4: SAMUS ARAN


The first time I played Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo I was determined to become a concept artist for a video game company. I was in love with the design of the character, the many different creatures and the game's environments. Visually, it was pushing all boundaries of what I previously experienced in a video game. This particular shot was inspired by the last level of Super Metroid, which I recall being a pain in the butt to beat.

While I don't remember every detail of the level, I remember running against the clock after defeating the last boss and trying to find my way back to Samus' space ship. 

Today, I work as an illustrator and am still pursuing that childhood dream of working on a video game as a concept artist.  While there were many jobs in the past that required me to illustrate video game characters,  I am still deeply inspired my Mike Sneath and his designs and would love to open a new career path towards the gaming industry. 

Stylistically, I've been recently very inspired by Marcos Mateu-Mestre.
I love the energy in his drawings and his wild and instinctively controlled line work. I had a lot of fun with distorting the perspective and playing with custom brushes that looked like chisel tip markers.


Thanks for viewing guys and Happy Thanksgiving!
-Tin

2 comments:

Orlando Sanchez said...

Sweet piece man. I like the style very much.

Jared Fiorino said...

Nice one Tin! The exaggerated features reminds me of that episode in the Animatrix, with the track runner.