Thursday, December 16, 2010

TAX ATTACKS


Hello Everyone,







The past few weeks have been extremely busy. A new wave of projects poured in after Thanksgiving and I wasn't quite able to keep up with the daily drawings. I just finished my first assignment which was a full page illustration for Military Officer Magazine. It's a continuation of the Super Hero series which has been on halt for a while. This time it was for an article that talked about the many new changes to our tax programs in 2011. 







This piece was extremely fun to ink. I was going with a more traditional comic book style and tried hard to give the lines a more natural look while still using the Wacom tablet.









The selected concept was in reference to H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds. The inked image below was another concept I might finish for myself another time as I'm somewhat happy with the overall composition and perspective. With this alternate concept , I wanted to give the hero an actual nemesis that could portray the taxes rather than having him always battling papers and numbers. Since this might essentially take away from the reading too much, we decided to go with the idea above.










The last idea was referencing Atlas from Greek Mythology. At first, I thought this was a good way to show tension and struggle with the weight, but it simply didn't work well for this article and was compositionally very weak.










Lastly, I wanted to create a Super Hero character that would be used for all future articles since this is an ongoing series. Giving the publication its own character would create more consistency since the images are usually linked to tax related articles. I have not received any feedback about the reuse of this particular design, but maybe it is too boring showing the same figure flying around every time. Either way, I want to thank Jill for keeping this series going and allowing me to be experimental with my work.










Thanks for stopping by guys, 



-Tin




















5 comments:

Rich Pellegrino said...

dude, what is taking marvel so long to give you a huge contract?

Unknown said...

hahaha...that's very kind of you to say. My doors are open to Marvel, but I doubt my work can compete with the big boys in their industry :P

-Tin

Andrew Tan said...

nice inking. What software did yo use? Was it mangastudio? Coz i know the lines turn out very nice on that program.

Unknown said...

Thanks Drew. Actually it was all done in Adobe Photoshop CS5. I have never used Manga Studio, but I hear great things about it. I'll have to give it a shot.

thanks

-T

Andrew Tan said...

wow. yes. nicely done in photoshop. if you do get it, get the mangastudio debut. its only USD49. it does the multiple hatch lines that you use a lot really well.